Friday, July 4, 2008

Visit to Connaught Bridge Power Station

Me and 2 of my dear friends visited Connaught Bridge Power Station (CBPS) on the 14th-24th April 2008. In capturing my experience there, this is what I have written but from a perspective of a camera. Before the story begins, below is the picture of CBPS early in the morning, beautifully captured by Rose.

Let me begin by introducing myself. I am Minolta Dimage A1. Well, if you’ll are wondering, yes I am a camera. I had a blast from 14-24th April 2008 while my owner, Rosilawati & her friends, Roobee & Eng had the opportunity to visit Connaught Bridge Power Station (CBPS). Now let me share with you my experience and bring you’ll on a tour of Connaught Bridge from the perspective of my lenses.

Come to think of it, lets take a step back. In the midst of my eagerness to begin I believe I should introduced you’ll to my owner. That’s Rosilawati and her friends.
Noticed the 4 tower of Open Cycle at the back. Nice, eh?

As this is my 1st time in a power station, I was exhilarated. I was absorbing as much sound, sight & knowledge as possible. Our training encompasses a series of briefings and tour on various aspects of the power station such as the Central Electrical Control Room (CECR), Water Treatment Plant, Mechanical Maintenance and ECNI. It was meant to be a holistic experience to help us familiarized with the running of a power station.


I will now briefly walk you’ll through various pit stop, each with its own interesting stories. Excited? Our 1st stop would be the Central Electrical Control Room. As the name suggest, it is the hub to control all aspects of the power plant. Did I say hub? Heart is more like it. I think I am getting dizzy just by looking at all those controls and screens.



I was rather busy trying to comprehend the functions of all the screens. All these screens assist people to monitor different aspects of the plant. The 1st screen for example shows the temperature of the gas turbine. The following screens shows monitoring of the open cycle gas turbine & steam turbine.


Now, let us move on. Another interesting stop would be the Water Treatment Plant. There were numerous tanks for different stages of water processing. Somehow, when I reach the Cation & Anion tank, the thought of cats & fishes crosses my mind. I wonder…?
Ahem, on a more serious note, the function of the water treatment plant is to ensure water is treated for boiler water and before releasing the water back into the Klang river. Well, let us move along to the next pit stop.


This is what I was looking forward to, the highlight of the training… a tour on gas and steam turbine, which operated through Open Cycle & Combined Cycle modes.
I guess I was extremely lucky as Margarita, the gas turbine was undergoing major overhaul. Ahem, I could see all her dismantled components. There were the combustor chambers, the 21 stages of blades on the compressor, the 5 stages of blades for the gas turbine, a portion of the main shaft, nuts & bolts and I could go on & on. As for me, I was just happy clicking away.

Ah, what could I say, a masterpiece. Look at the product of my hard work. Btw, did you’ll noticed the nuts & bolts, one can actually do some serious weight lifting with that.

Apparently, the turbine blade is made of high quality material that can stand high pressure & temperature. Wow, do you know that one blade is equivalent to a Proton Saga? Imagine, there’s 21 stages of blade in a compressor. I was busy trying to imagine the number of proton sagas we can purchase. Bet you don’t know about that, huh?


That’s all folks. I hope that you have enjoyed my journey as much as I have the fun sharing it with you.

No comments: